Au pairs

The term “au pair” is used for a young person who is temporarily hosted in a family where he/she is lodged and fed in return for light everyday family tasks. This experience should enable the young foreign national to improve his/her language skills and increase his/her general knowledge through a better understanding of the country.

How to get the work permit B ?

The host family must ask the Employment Ministry of the region in which it resides for permission to employ a non-European “au pair” and apply for a work permit B.

The family must complete the "Application for permission to employ a foreign au pair” and attach various documents (medical certificate of the “au pair”, family composition of the host family, health insurance certificate ...). Several conditions must be met by the au pair and the host family.

You will find the conditions and documents required for the employment of an "au pair” here.

The procedure takes about 2 months. The decision is communicated to the employer, who then forwards it to the au pair so that he or she can apply for a D visa.

Where to lodge the procedure ?

The au pair youth authorised to work in Belgium must apply for a visa D (national long-stay visa) at the Belgian diplomatic or consular post competent for the place where they habitually reside abroad.

Where to find an "au pair" ?

Several specialised agencies offer a paying service to help you finding an au pair: