Au pairs

The term “au pair” is used for a young person who is temporarily hosted in a family where he/she is lodged and fed in return for light everyday family tasks. This experience should enable the young foreign national to improve his/her language skills and increase his/her general knowledge through a better understanding of the country.

An EU citizen wishing to be an au pair in Belgium doesn’t need a work permit even if there are some conditions to meet. So far there is no legal framework for EU au pairs living in Belgium. The only legal reference existing is the European Agreement on “Au pair” placement of 24 November 1969. Which has in fact never been ratified by the Belgian Parliament. Despite this legal vacuum, contracts between EU au pairs and their host family are entirely recognized by Belgian municipalities in order for the EU au pair to easily obtain a Belgian residence permit. Moreover as the au pair placement is not considered as a work the host family will not need to pay social contributions on the au-pair services.


The European “au pair” must:

  • Be between 17 and 30 years old.
  • Sign a contract  with the host family including the basis of the agreement between the family and the young person regarding his/her job as an “au pair”. The elements of the contract are the same as for a young non-European: he/she gets involved in the life of the host family; in exchange for free board and lodging, a private room and pocket money the “au pair” will take care of your children and help with light housework; he/she must follow a language course.
  • Follow, during the time in his/her host family, a language course in a recognized institution.. The language taught must be one of the official languages of the Region (French or Dutch).  The institution must provide a statement of actual presence at these courses every three months.

The host family must:

  • Provide the “au pair” with a single room and free access to the dwelling.
  • Pay monthly to the au pair by bank transfer, a fixed amount of 450 euros, as pocket money.
  • Let the “au pair” have at least one full day off per week and any opportunity to participate in the exercise of his religion or his philosophical ideas.
  • Subscribe the “au pair” to their health care insurance. Nevertheless, most European countries agree to extend the insurance of the “au pair” during his stay abroad via an European Health Insurance Card.
  • Subscribe to a family insurance covering the “au pair”.

Where to find an "au pair" ?

Several specialised agencies offer a paying service to help you finding an au pair: