The term “au pair” is used for a young person who is temporarily hosted in a family where he/she is lodged and fed in return for light everyday family tasks. This experience should enable the young foreign national to improve his/her language skills and increase his/her general knowledge through a better understanding of the country.

Legal frame:

  • A non EU citizen wishing to be an au pair in Belgium needs a work permit. Articles 24 to 29 of the Royal Decree of 9 June 1999 mentions all the required conditions.
  • A host family may not have another au pair employment authorisation underway.
  • The duration of the validity of the employment authorisation and the work permit relating to the au pair may not exceed 1 year.
  • The employment authorisation and the work permit relating to the au pair may be renewed only once, and insofar as the placement does not exceed a total duration of 1 year.
  • Only one change of host family is permitted, and only insofar as the total duration of the placement of the au pair does not exceed a total duration of one year and provided that all other conditions for the granting of the employment authorisation and the work permit are likewise satisfied.
  • The National social security office (NSSO) considers that being an “au pair” is not a job. It is not actually part of the labor legislation. If the conditions of the contract are fully met, the family should not pay any dues to the NSSO.
  • Participation of the “au pair” to the housework, including child care, may not exceed four hours per day and 20 hours per week and cannot be the main purpose of the stay.
The Non european “au pair” must:

  • be between 18 and 26 years old. He/she must not have reached the age of 26 at the date of the work permit;
  • not have already previously benefited from a work permit in Belgium in any capacity whatsoever (except the case of a work permit as an au pair which did not exhaust the maximum duration of 12 months of employment which can be granted.);
  • sign a contract with the host family;
  • make a commitment not to occupy any jobs in Belgium during the “au pair” stay;
  • hold a document giving him access, in the country of origin, to higher education or prove that he has followed courses until at least the age of 17;
  • have a basic knowledge of the host family’s language or make a commitment to acquire this basic knowledge by pursuing an intensive language course immediately after arrival in Belgium;
  • follow, during the time in his/her host family, a language course in a recognized institution, licensed or subsidized by any of the Communities. The language taught must be one of the official languages of the Region (French or Dutch).  The institution must provide a statement of actual presence at these courses every tree months.

The host family must:

  • ask the competent service in the Region for permission to employ a non-European “au pair” and apply for a work permit B (see below);
  • provide the “au pair” with a single room and free access to the dwelling;
  • have among its members at least one child who has not reached the age of 13 at the beginning of the period of stay of the “au pair”;
  • for children who have not reached the age of 6, prove that their day care was provided for a period corresponding to the maximum stay of the au pair or for the period until the youngest has reached the age of 6;
  • provide a certificate of good conduct for all the adults members of the host family at the beginning of the period of stay of the “au pair”;
  • pay monthly to the “au pair” by bank transfer, a fixed amount of 450 EUR, as pocket money;
  • let the “au pair” have at least one full day off per week and enough opportunity to participate in the exercise of his religion or his philosophical activities;
  • subscribe the “au pair” to their health care insurance;
  • subscribe for an additional insurance to cover risks related to medical, pharmaceutical care or hospitalization in case of illness or accident;
  • commit to conclude an insurance for the possible early repatriation of the “au pair” because of an illness or accident, and commit to take in charge the possible additional costs of this repatriation;
  • declare that they agree to grant access to their home to the officials responsible for monitoring previous conditions.
How to get the work permit B?

The host family must ask the Employment Ministry of the region in which it resides for permission to employ a non-European “au pair” and apply for a work permit B.

The family must complete the "Application for permission to employ a foreign “au pair”” and attach various documents (medical certificate of the “au pair”, family composition of the host family, health insurance certificate ...). Several conditions must be met.

You will find the documents required for the employment of an "au pair” at this address:

Where to lodge the procedure ?

Where to find an au pair  ?

Several specialised agencies offer a paying service to help you finding an au pair: 

Au Pair Belgium


Stufam Au Pair

Au Pair World

Great Au Pair

visit our online store to buy