Belgian Tax Return

Belgian tax return: how does it work?

During the month of May, Belgian tax authorities send out the tax return forms in brown envelopes, to all tax payers. Depending on your situation, filling in these returns can be quite complicated. What’s in the tax return? How to fill in the boxes? What documents do you need to get together? What should you do if you make a mistake? Below are some guidelines from the Expat Welcome Desk…

You have received your tax return and you don’t understand why?

Either in paper format (brown envelope) or in electronic format (Tax-on-web), the tax return is currently sent to all persons who are entered in the national register as of 1 January 2020.

What does the tax return consist of?

The tax return in paper format consists of several documents:
  • The explanatory brochure which helps you to complete your return;
  • Notes called “preparatory document” printed on beige paper help you to complete each part of the form. You don’t have to send this document to the authorities but it is important to fill it in before completing your return. It will enable you to correctly transfer the codes and amounts onto the return and not to forget any of them;
  • The form printed on red and white paper including all your personal data should be sent after completion – dated, signed and stamped – to the scanning centre before the 30 June 2020. The return does not contain pre-printed codes; you have to write the corresponding codes and amounts yourself;
In the first 6 boxes, write your code.


You then have 10 boxes in which to indicate the amount corresponding to the code. Be careful! Your amount must be aligned to the right, the last two boxes are only for cents. If you have to enter a round number without cents, enter “00” in the last two boxes.

For example, to enter an amount of 32.132,13 euros:


  • The accompanying sheet printed in white and green for sending any annexes that may be necessary;
  • The return envelope in which to send your complete form and any annexes. Ensure that the address which appears in the window is the scanning centre.

Which documents do you need for completing your tax return?

To be able to fill in your tax form, you need to assemble several documents which may give you the right to tax reductions: your annual salary statement (form 281.10 to be supplied by your employer), your certificates of child-care expenses, mortgage payments, pension savings, donations to recognised institutions, service vouchers, energy economy expenditures, alimonies and maintenance allowances, etc…

What should you do if you don’t receive a paper tax return?

You have the option to complete your tax return electronically via Tax-on-web before 16 July 2020, using your electronic identity card and card reader. In this case you don’t need to request a paper tax form.

Go to Tax-on-web:

Nevertheless, if you wish to complete your return on paper, you should ask your local tax office for a form (

Please note!
If you have received a simplified return, you will not receive the standard paper form.

Can I ask to a representative to enter my statement?

Yes, anyone who has to file a declaration can use an agent (accountant, chartered accountant, tax specialist, etc.). This agent must have a business number.

First, you and your mandatary must create a mandate (before 31th August 2020). Then, your proxy will complete your return and send it via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web). Your proxy can submit your declaration until 22nd October 2020.

What should I do if there was an error or omission in my tax return?

If you realise that you have made an error after signing and sending off your tax return, you can no longer make changes yourself to the form. You should contact your tax office as quickly as possible to correct the error (

If you submitted your return via Tax-on-web, you can change your return yourself via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web) until 16 July 2020 (once only).

What happens if I am late with my tax return?

If you fail to send in your tax return by the date mentioned on the form, you risk receiving a fine or an increase in taxes.

In addition, the authorities can resort to the direct assessment procedure. In this case they have up to three years to fix or modify the amount of tax due.

Can I ask for an extension of time to submit my statement?

It is not possible to ask for an extension (even if there is a problem with the identity card and/or the PIN code has been forgotten).

Additional points:

  • The documents entitled “Part 2” only apply to the self-employed and company directors.
  • Officials of European institutions and international organisations who are domiciled for tax purposes in Belgium must complete the tax return but are required to tick two special boxes exempting them from taxes on their salary (1062-05 et 1020-47). They must attach a letter from the institution provided for this purpose.
  • For officials of European institutions and international organisations who are not domiciled for tax purposes in Belgium, the tax return should be sent to the scanning centre with the relevant letter from the institution. In the event officials have an income from a Belgian source, this income must be declared in a non-residents tax return, the competent tax office should be notified and this form should be filled out. Once this request has been submitted, you will receive the declaration each year. You must also inform your tax office in the event of a change of address and/or civil status (marriage, legal cohabitation, separation, divorce, death, etc.).

Need help?

Given the current circumstances (Covid-19), all on-site filling assistance sessions (in offices and communes) are cancelled this year.

Nevertheless, an employee of the FPS Finances can help you to complete your tax return by telephone. To do so, you must first make an appointment via the specific telephone number indicated on the envelope of your tax return. When making an appointment, you must have your national register number ready !

If you miss the employee's first call, the employee will leave you a message and call you back a second time. You should not call back yourself. If you also miss the second call, you must make an appointment for another day (as soon as possible).

WARNING !  To make sure that it is an employee of the FPS Finance who is contacting you, here is what you need to pay attention to :
  • The phone number is 02 572 57 xx.
  • The FPS Finances employee will only contact you if you have made an appointment, and only on the date and time agreed with you.
  • He confirms your identity with your national register number.
  • The employee knows most details about your income as well as other data to be included in your tax return.

For more information about your tax return:

The Expat Welcome Desk
of the Brussels Commissioner for Europe and International Organisations is also available to help you.


FREE SEMINAR: Filing your Belgian income tax return – 4th JUNE at 2 PM

The Expat Welcome Desk is pleased to invite you to a virtual seminar (in English) commencing at 2 PM on 4th June 2020. Primarily aimed at expats working for Belgian employers, this seminar is free to access, although you will need to register by Monday 1st June, 5 PM via the following e-mail address:

Practical information concerning the link to access the meeting will follow after your registration.
De Belgische belastingaangifte: hoe werkt ze? 

In de loop van de maand mei stuurt de Belgische belastingadministratie alle belastingplichtigen in een bruine omslag de belastingaangifte toe. Afhankelijk van uw situatie kan het invullen van de aangifte een hele opgave zijn. Waaruit bestaat de belastingaangifte? Hoe moeten de vakjes worden ingevuld? Welke documenten moet u bijeenbrengen? Wat moet u doen bij vergissingen? De Expat Welcome Desk wijst u de weg.

U hebt de aanslag voor de belastingaangifte gekregen en raakt er niet wijs uit?

Zowel op papier (bruine omslag) als online (Tax-on-web) wordt het aangifteformulier momenteel toegestuurd aan iedereen die sinds 1 januari 2020 staat ingeschreven in het bevolkingsregister.

Waaruit bestaat de belastingaangifte?

De belastingaangifte op papier omvat meerdere documenten:
  • De toelichtingsbrochure die u helpt bij het invullen van uw aangifte;
  • De kladaangifte, “voorbereidend document” genoemd, die is afgedrukt op beige papier moet u bijstaan bij het invullen van uw belastingaangifte. U hoeft het document niet terug te sturen, maar het is belangrijk dat u het invult vóór u aan de eigenlijke aangifte begint. Dit maakt het voor u gemakkelijker om de codes en de bijhorende bedragen correct over te schrijven op het aangifteformulier en er vooral geen te vergeten;
  • Het aangifteformulier is het rood-witte document waarop uw persoonsgegevens staan afgedrukt. Zodra u het hebt ingevuld, gedateerd en ondertekend, stuurt u dit gefrankeerd terug naar het scanningscentrum, maar wel vóór 30 juni 2020. De aangifte vermeldt geen voorgedrukte codes. U dient de codes zelf in te vullen met de bijhorende bedragen;
In de eerste 6 vakjes schrijft u de code neer.


Vervolgens beschikt u over 10 vakjes om het bedrag in te vullen dat met de code overeenstemt. Opgelet! Het bedrag moet rechts uitgelijnd zijn, de laatste twee vakjes dienen enkel voor de centiemen. Betreft het een rond bedrag (zonder centiemen), dan vermeldt u "00" in de laatste twee vakjes.

Een bedrag van 32.132,13 euro vult u dus in als volgt.


  • Het wit-groen begeleidend blad voor de verzending van bijlagen als dat nodig blijkt;
  • De omslag om uw aangifte en eventuele bijlagen terug te sturen. Als adres moet in het venster van de omslag dat van het scanningscentrum verschijnen.

Welke documenten hebt u nodig om uw belastingaangifte in te vullen?

Om uw belastingaangifte in te vullen dient u een aantal documenten bij de hand te hebben die recht kunnen geven op belastingvermindering : de loonfiche 281.10 (die u krijgt van uw werkgever), het attest van de kinderopvang, de attesten van uw hypotheekleningen, pensioensparen, giften aan erkende instellingen, dienstencheques, energiebesparende uitgaven, alimentatie...

Wat moet ik doen als ik geen papieren aangifteformulier heb ontvangen?

U kunt er steeds voor kiezen uw aangifte online in te dienen via Tax-on-web. Dat kan tot 16 juli 2020 met behulp van uw elektronische identiteitskaart en een aangepaste kaartlezer. In dat geval hoeft u geen papieren aangifteformulier meer aan te vragen.

Ga naar Tax-on-web: 
Wenst u toch een aangifte op papier in te vullen, dan dient u een aangifteformulier aan te vragen bij uw belastingkantoor ( 

Opgelet! Als u een voorstel van vereenvoudigde aangifte hebt ontvangen, dan krijgt u geen papieren aangifteformulier meer toegestuurd.

Mag ik een volmacht gebruiken om mijn verklaring in te dienen? 

Ja, iedereen die een aangifte moet indienen, kan een beroep doen op een gevolmachtigde (accountant, registeraccountant, belastingspecialist, enz.). Deze vertegenwoordiger moet een bedrijfsnummer hebben.
In de eerste plaats moeten u en uw mandataris een mandaat opstellen (vóór 31 augustus 2020). Vervolgens vult uw gevolmachtigde uw aangifte in en verstuurt deze via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web). Uw aangifte kan in dit geval tot 22 oktober 2020 worden ingediend.

Wat moet ik doen als ik mij vergist heb of iets vergeten ben in mijn aangifte?

Na het ondertekenen en versturen van uw aangifte stelt u vast dat u zich vergist hebt? Dan kunt u zelf de aangifte, na het verzenden dus, niet meer wijzigen. Neem dan zo snel mogelijk contact op met uw belastingkantoor om de vergissing te laten rechtzetten (

Als u uw aangifte via Tax-on-web heeft ingediend, kunt u uw aangifte zelf via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web) tot 16 juli 2020 (eenmalig) wijzigen.

Wat gebeurt er als ik mijn aangifte te laat indien?

Als u de aangifte niet binnen de op het formulier vermelde termijn hebt ingediend, dan loopt u het risico een boete of een belastingverhoging te krijgen.

Bovendien kan de administratie van ambtswege de belastingprocedure opstarten. Daarbij beschikt zij over een termijn van drie jaar om uw belasting vast te stellen of te wijzigen.

Mag ik vragen om een verlenging van de termijn voor het indienen van mijn aangifte ?

Het is niet mogelijk om een verlenging te vragen (zelfs niet als er een probleem is met de identiteitskaart en/of de pincode vergeten is).


  • De documenten van “deel 2” gelden alleen voor zelfstandigen en bedrijfsleiders.
  • Ambtenaren van de Europese instellingen en internationale organisaties die hun fiscale woonplaats hebben in België moeten de aangifte invullen, maar vinken daarbij twee specifieke vakken aan wat hen vrijstelt van belasting op hun loon (1062-05 et 1020-47). Zij moeten een brief van de daartoe voorziene instelling bijvoegen.
  • Voor ambtenaren van de Europese instellingen en internationale organisaties die hun domicilie niet in België hebben moet de aangifte toegestuurd worden aan het scanningscentrum met een daartoe bestemd schrijven van de instelling. Ambtenaren van deze categorie die inkomsten hebben uit een Belgische inkomensbron moeten deze aangeven in een belastingaangifte voor niet-inwoners. U moet dan uw bevoegde belastingkantoor op de hoogte brengen en dit formulier invullen. Zodra dit verzoek is ingediend, ontvangt u de verklaring elk jaar. U moet uw kantoor ook op de hoogte brengen in geval van een adreswijziging en/of een wijziging van uw burgerlijke staat (huwelijk, wettelijke samenwoning, scheiding, echtscheiding, overlijden, enz.).

Hulp nodig?

Gezien de huidige omstandigheden (Covid-19) worden dit jaar alle hulpsessies voor het invullen van uw aangifte ter plaatse (in kantoren en gemeenten) geannuleerd.

Toch kan een medewerker van de FOD Financiën u telefonisch helpen om uw belastingaangifte  in te vullen. Hiervoor moet u eerst een afspraak maken via het specifieke telefoonnummer dat op de enveloppe van uw belastingaangifte staat vermeld. Bij het maken van een afspraak moet u uw rijksregisternummer bij de hand hebben! 

Als u het eerste gesprek van de medewerker mist, laat de medewerker een bericht achter en belt u een tweede keer terug. Je moet zelf niet terugbellen. Als u ook de tweede oproep mist, moet u (zo snel mogelijk) een afspraak maken voor een andere dag.

OPGELET: Om er zeker van te zijn dat het een medewerker van de FOD Financiën is die contact met u opneemt, dient u op het volgende te letten:
  • Het telefoonnummer is 02 572 57 xx.
  • De medewerker van de FOD Financiën neemt alleen contact met u op als u een afspraak hebt gemaakt, en alleen op de met u overeengekomen datum en tijdstip.
  • Hij bevestigt uw identiteit met uw rijksregisternummer.
  • De werknemer die u aan de lijn hebt kent de meeste gegevens van uw aangifte. 
Uiteraard kan u met al uw vragen ook steeds terecht bij de Expat Welcome Desk van het Commissariaat voor Europa en de Internationale Instellingen.



Neem deel aan de webinar van de Expat Welcome Desk  “Filing your Belgian income tax return” op 4 juni om 14u   (in het Engels).

Deelname is gratis maar inschrijving is noodzakelijk.

Schrijf U uiterlijk op maandag 1 juni (voor 17u) in via

De link naar het seminarie zal u vervolgens worden toegestuurd.
Déclaration fiscale belge : comment ça marche ?

Durant le mois de mai l’administration fiscale belge envoie les déclarations d’impôts, sous enveloppes brunes, à tous les contribuables. Selon votre situation, remplir le formulaire peut soulever quelques questions. De quoi se compose la déclaration fiscale ? Comment remplir les cases ? Quels documents faut-il rassembler ? Que faire en cas d’erreur ? L’Expat Welcome Desk vous explique tout.

Vous avez reçu votre déclaration fiscale et vous ne vous y retrouvez pas ?

Sous format papier (enveloppe brune) ou sous format électronique (Tax-on-web) la déclaration fiscale est, pour le moment, envoyée à toutes les personnes qui sont inscrites au registre national depuis le 1er janvier 2020.

Qu’est-ce que comprend cette enveloppe brune ?

La déclaration fiscale sous format papier est accompagnée de divers documents :
  • La brochure explicative qui vous aide à remplir votre déclaration ;
  • Le brouillon appelé « document préparatoire » imprimé sur du papier beige a pour but de vous aider à compléter votre déclaration fiscale. Ce document ne doit pas être renvoyé mais il est important de le compléter avant de remplir votre déclaration ; cela vous permet de retranscrire correctement les codes et leurs montants sur la déclaration et de ne pas en oublier ;
  • La déclaration écrite elle-même, imprimée en rouge et blanc, reprenant vos données personnelles à renvoyer timbrée au centre de scanning après l’avoir complétée, datée et signée et ce avant le 30 juin 2020 La déclaration ne comporte pas de codes pré-imprimés. Vous devez donc inscrire vous-même les codes et les montants qui y correspondent ;
Dans les 6 premières cases, inscrivez votre code. 


Vous disposez ensuite de 10 cases pour indiquer le montant correspondant au code. Attention! Votre montant doit être aligné à droite, les deux dernières cases servant uniquement aux centimes. Si vous devez indiquer un montant rond (sans centimes), inscrivez "00" dans les 2 dernières cases. 

Par exemple, pour inscrire un montant de 32.132,13 euros: 


  • La feuille d’accompagnement imprimée en blanc et vert pour l’envoi d’annexes si nécessaire ;
  • L’enveloppe de renvoi pour renvoyer votre déclaration et les annexes éventuelles. L’adresse qui doit apparaître dans la fenêtre de l’enveloppe est celle du centre de scanning.

De quels documents avez-vous besoin pour remplir votre déclaration fiscale ?

Afin de remplir votre déclaration fiscale, vous devrez rassembler au préalable divers documents qui peuvent vous donner droit à des réductions d'impôt: la fiche de rémunérations 281.10 (à obtenir auprès de votre employeur), l’attestation des frais de garde de vos enfants, l’attestation de vos prêts hypothécaires, épargne-pension, libéralités à des institutions reconnues (dons et legs), titres-services, dépenses faites en vue d'économiser l'énergie, rentes alimentaires...

Que faire si je n'ai pas reçu de déclaration papier ?

Il vous est toujours possible de compléter votre déclaration de manière électronique via Tax-on-web (jusqu’au 16 juillet 2020) via votre carte d’identité électronique ainsi qu’un lecteur de carte adapté. Ainsi, vous n’aurez plus à demander la déclaration papier.

Si vous souhaitez néanmoins remplir une déclaration papier, vous devez demander un formulaire de déclaration à votre bureau de taxation ( 

Attention ! Si vous avez reçu une proposition de déclaration simplifiée, vous ne recevrez pas de déclaration papier.

Est-ce que je peux faire appel à un mandataire pour rentrer ma déclaration ? 

Oui. Toute personne qui doit rentrer une déclaration peut faire appel à un mandataire (comptable, expert-comptable, fiscaliste, etc.). Ce mandataire doit avoir un numéro d’entreprise.

Tout d’abord, vous et votre mandataire devez créer un mandat (avant le 31 août 2020). Ensuite, votre mandataire remplira votre déclaration et se chargera de l’envoyer via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web). Votre mandataire pourra rentrer votre déclaration jusqu’au 22 octobre 2020.

Que dois-je faire en cas d’erreur ou d’oubli dans ma déclaration ?

Vous ne pouvez plus modifier vous-même votre déclaration papier après envoi. Nous vous invitons à prendre contact le plus rapidement possible avec votre bureau de taxation pour faire corriger votre erreur (

Si vous avez rentré votre déclaration via Tax-on-web, vous pouvez modifier vous-même votre déclaration via MyMinfin (Tax-on-web) jusqu’au 16 juillet 2020 (une seule fois).

Que se passe-t-il si j'introduis ma déclaration en retard ?

Si vous n'avez pas rentré votre déclaration dans le délai indiqué sur celle-ci, vous risquez une amende ou un accroissement d’impôt.

De plus, l'administration peut recourir à la procédure de taxation d'office. Dans ce cas, elle dispose d’un délai de trois ans pour établir ou modifier votre impôt.

Puis-je demander un délai supplémentaire pour rentrer ma déclaration ?

Il n’est pas possible de demander un délai supplémentaire (y compris en cas de problème avec la carte d’identité et/ou d’oubli du code PIN).

Remarques :

  • Les documents intitulés « Partie 2 » ne concernent que les indépendants ou dirigeants d’entreprises.
  • Les fonctionnaires des institutions européennes et des organisations internationales ayant leur domicile fiscal en Belgique doivent compléter la déclaration fiscale mais doivent cocher deux cases spéciales les exonérant de taxes sur leurs rémunérations. (1062-05 et 1020-47). Ils doivent annexer une lettre de l’institution prévue à cet effet.
  • Pour les fonctionnaires des institutions européennes et des organisations internationales n’ayant pas leur domicile fiscal en Belgique, la déclaration doit être renvoyée au centre de scanning avec une lettre de l’institution prévue à cet effet. Dans le cas où cette catégorie de fonctionnaires possède des revenus de source belge, ils doivent être déclarés dans une déclaration à l’impôt des non-résidents. Il faut alors prévenir votre bureau de taxation compétente et remplir ce formulaire. Une fois cette demande introduite, vous recevrez chaque année la déclaration. Vous devez également informer votre bureau en cas de changement d’adresse et/ou de votre état civil (mariage, cohabitation légale, séparation, divorce, décès, etc.).
Pour plus d’informations, consultez cette page web

Besoin d’aide ? 

Étant donné les circonstances actuelles (Covid-19), toutes les séances d’aide au remplissage sur place (dans les bureaux et les communes) sont annulées cette année.

Néanmoins, un collaborateur du SPF Finances peut vous aider à remplir votre déclaration fiscale par téléphone. Pour cela, vous devez d’abord prendre rendez-vous via le numéro de téléphone spécifique indiqué sur l’enveloppe de votre déclaration. Lors de la prise de rendez-vous, vous devez disposer de votre numéro de registre national ! 

Si vous ratez le premier appel du collaborateur, le collaborateur vous laissera un message, et il vous rappellera une deuxième fois. Vous ne devez pas rappeler vous-même. Si vous ratez également le deuxième appel, vous devez prendre (le plus rapidement possible) un rendez-vous pour un autre jour.

Pour vous assurer que c’est bien un collaborateur du SPF Finances qui vous contacte, voici ce à quoi il faut faire attention : 
Le numéro d’appel est le 02 572 57 xx.
Le collaborateur du SPF Finances vous contacte uniquement si vous avez pris rendez-vous, et uniquement à la date fixée avec vous.
Il vous confirme votre identité avec votre numéro de registre national.
Le collaborateur que vous avez en ligne connait  la plupart de vos revenus et d’autres éléments à reprendre dans votre déclaration. Par exemple, il peut vous dire au téléphone le montant de votre salaire en 2019.

Plus d’informations concernant votre déclaration fiscale sur : 

L’Expat Welcome Desk 
du Commissariat à l’Europe et aux Organisations Internationales est également à votre disposition.


SÉMINAIRE : Comment remplir ma déclaration fiscale belge ?

L'Expat Welcome Desk a le plaisir de vous inviter à un séminaire en ligne (en anglais) le 4 juin à 14h. Destiné principalement aux expatriés travaillant pour des employeurs belges, ce séminaire est gratuit, mais vous devez vous y inscrire avant le lundi 1er juin, 17h, via :

Les informations pratiques concernant le lien pour accéder à la réunion suivront.