21 APRIL: How does Covid-19 impact your daily life?

In order to fight effectively against the spread of Covid-19, Belgian authorities have introduced various measures, including confinement, right across the country. The daily life of everybody is therefore affected by these regulations. What are the consequences for rental contracts?  Can marriages still go ahead? And what if you have to go abroad? The Expat Welcome Desk answers all your questions...

1. Administrative procedures

    • How can I register in the commune?

You can access communal services by telephone and email but appointments have been suspended. If you need a document or any service whatsoever, you should first go to your local commune’s website to find out the procedure to follow.
If you need to take urgent action for something, you should inform the commune authorities so that they can evaluate your case and make an appointment if necessary.

     • What should I do if my visa expires?

If you are a third-country national and unable to leave Belgium due to force majeure (quarantine, flight cancellation, border closure, etc.), you may apply for permission to extend your stay. In view of the current situation, your request can be sent to the commune administration of your place of residence (by e-mail).

Nevertheless, in an emergency, you can make your request directly to the Immigration Office, at the address (if you live in a Dutch-speaking commune) or (if you live in a French-speaking commune).

To help you write your request and attach the necessary documents, you can use the following link:

    • What about single permits / work permits?

As service counters are closed, if you wish to apply for a work permit or a single permit (or  a renewal), you should do so by sending your application file to the e-mail address , making sure that you follow the procedure described on the following link:

2. Rental contract

    • I am on temporary unemployment and find it difficult to pay my rent. What can I do?

As a tenant, paying the rent remains a primary obligation as you still have full use of the property. The coronavirus crisis cannot be a pretext for suddenly not paying the rent. However, situations should be evaluated case-by-case. Talking to your landlord is the best way to try to obtain rent deferment or a temporary reduction in your monthly payment. But be careful... you will need a written agreement!

    • How are maintenance and repair responsibilities affected by confinement and social distancing?

During this confinement period, only urgent repairs or those which could damage the rented property are allowed to be carried out. If someone does visit to carry out repairs, it is important to maintain social distancing (minimum 1.5 metres between people) and open windows to ventilate the premises.

    • My landlord wants to organise visits to the property during confinement. Do I have to agree?

In view of the confinement measures, visits in connection with renting the property are not possible. The occupant renting the property (lessee) has the right to oppose visits. The landlord (lessor) has to wait until the end of confinement before organising visits to the property.

     • How can I organise moving to new accommodation?

You are requested to postpone moving whenever possible. However, an essential move is authorised on condition that social distancing measures are respected. Only those affected by the change of address, and professional movers, are allowed to carry out the move.

     • In the event of an essential move, can I still dispose of certain objects in the container park?

Yes, container parks are still open but their use is subject to strict guidelines.

3. International travel

N.B. It is imperative to adhere to the respective national regulations and any additional measures taken by countries to which you are going. You will find these regulations on the websites of the respective foreign governments.

     • Can I go abroad from Belgium?

The general principle is that all non-essential foreign travel is prohibited. All journeys to a foreign second residence are also forbidden. A list of journeys considered essential is available here. In addition, you must carry an identity document and/or your passport together with documented justification that your journey is essential (these documents should be prepared before departure).

     • Can I re-enter Belgium from abroad?

All Belgian nationals (with or without their principal residence in Belgium), long-term residents and persons having a legal residence in Belgium may return to Belgium, on two conditions:
  • the person must remain confined to the house for 14 days;
  • the person is prohibited from working outside for 14 days (even if employed in an essential sector). However, teleworking is allowed.                                                   
These two conditions apply to all persons returning from abroad, regardless of the mode of transport used (air, land or sea).

     • I have to go to Belgium for professional reasons. How can I do this?

As a cross-border worker (for an essential or non-essential sector), you can enter and leave Belgian territory without any problem in order to carry out your professional activity, using any means of transport. However, you must be in possession of an identity document and/or a passport together with a certificate from the employer (or a company document proving that you are self-employed) in order to cross the border.

For business travel by workers in vital trades or sectors, an official paper sticker can be used bilaterally between Belgium and the Netherlands.

    • What about the travel of staff working in an international organization? 

Although non-essential travel to and from Belgium is prohibited, the Vienna Convention and headquarters agreements allow flexibility to be applied for staff members of diplomatic missions or consulates and officials of international organisations. 
The Protocol Directorate has drafted a note verbale on this subject, which is available here:

4. Childcare

     •  Are childcare nurseries and baby carers still operating?

Childcare in crèches is still available but limited to children whose parents perform a "vital" function (i.e. frontline functions such as doctors, health professionals, nursing staff in rest homes, security services, etc.) or provide support for this front-line function (childcare staff, teachers, public transport staff, food shops, etc.). The same applies for children of parents who have no choice but to entrust the care of their children to grandparents, who are themselves a vulnerable group.

Beyond these situations, parents are requested to keep their children in the family home. 

     •  What about schools?

Classes and extra-curricular activities (for kindergarten, primary and secondary school classes) are temporarily suspended. Nevertheless, a day-care system is still provided but as with crèches, this service is limited to children whose parents perform a "vital" function or have no choice but to entrust the care of their children to grandparents.

5. Civil events

     •  Can weddings take place? 

Civil (or religious) weddings can take place but only in the presence of the spouses, their witnesses and the registrar (or minister). 

     •  What are the rules for funerals and cremations?

Funeral ceremonies may take place. However, a maximum of 15 people is allowed and they must maintain a distance of 1.5 metres between one and another. In addition, the body of the deceased may not be displayed.

6. Vehicle registration and safety inspections

    •  How do I get my license plate delisted?

Since vehicle registration office branches and outlets are currently closed, no more registration plates can be submitted for deregistration.
For more information, visit the website

    •  Can I take my car for its safety inspection?

No. Brussels safety inspection centres are closed. The validity period of inspection certificates whose validity has expired since 1 March 2020 is extended by 6 months.
The validity period of inspection certificates whose validity expires in the month following the reopening of safety inspection centres will on this occasion be extended by 2 months.

7. Work and temporary unemployment

    •  Am I entitled to unemployment benefits due to Covid-19?

The National Employment Office (ONEM/RVA) has issued a complete FAQ on the subject:

We also refer you to our last newsletter on the impact of Covid-19 on work.

8. Everyday life

    •  Does waste collection continue as normal?

Yes. The Covid-19 crisis has led to a few disruptions in city cleaning services, particularly in the collection of blue and yellow bags. However, for the benefit of public health, in certain areas the teams will collect all types of waste on their rounds. In addition, some of these collections will take place in the afternoon.

    •  What means of transport can I use?

Public transport is still running and available for essential journeys provided that certain safety measures are observed.

Taxis are allowed to carry customers provided that a minimum distance of 1.5 metres is maintained between each person. The number of people that can be transported therefore varies according to the type of vehicle. Compliance with the social distancing rule does not apply to persons living together under the same roof. It is advisable to air and clean the vehicle regularly.

initiatives may continue but a minimum distance of 1.5 metres must be maintained between each person. The number of people that can be transported therefore varies according to the type of vehicle.

Shared scooter services are currently available on a reduced service or have been temporarily suspended. More information can be found on the operators' page.

    • Are parking regulations still in effect?

No. The enforcement of regulated parking has been suspended in all 19 Brussels communes until further notice, both in paid zones and blue (disc) zones. Remember that the highway code remains in force and that local police will continue to deal with prohibited or obstructive parking and ensure that spaces reserved for handicapped drivers are kept clear.

     •  What measures are taken in hospitals?

All planned non-urgent appointments, tests and operations have been cancelled. Only urgent and/or indispensable appointments, examinations and operations may take place. All existing necessary treatments (chemotherapy, dialysis, ...) will be continued.   Patients may be accompanied by one person only. 

In the event of childbirth, the hospital stay should be as short as possible; and this will be determined in consultation with your doctor. Your partner may be present at the birth and only visits from your partner are allowed. Family visits are no longer permitted. In addition, you must follow the hospital's instructions.


We would like to remind you that you can find:

=> All the measures taken by the Belgian government related to coronavirus on "The National Crisis Centre (NCCN) site - “. This site provides the continuous (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) collection, analysis and circulation of all kinds of urgent information for the relevant authorities.

=> You can also consult the general site of the Federal Public Service Public Health on coronavirus ( which summarises the latest information. 

=> A toll-free number is also available from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm for all your questions: 0800 14 689

=> If you are resident in the Brussels-Capital Region and you do not have a GP, call 1710. This phone line, set up specially for Brussels residents, is a central coordination point for general practitioners who can advise you on your state of health and give you appropriate guidance. It is primarily intended for people with cough, cold or fever symptoms who think they may be infected by coronavirus. The line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The Expat Welcome Desk is also available for you during this period! 
Don’t hesitate to contact us by phone or by e-mail ( ).
Om de verspreiding van Covid-19 actief tegen te gaan, nam de Belgische overheid meerdere maatregelen met onder meer een lockdown in het hele land. Dit betekent dat iedereen de impact van deze regels voelt op zijn dagelijks leven. Welke gevolgen heeft dit voor de huurovereenkomst? Mogen huwelijken nog steeds plaatsvinden? Wat als u naar het buitenland moet? De Expat Welcome Desk houdt u op de hoogte. 

1. Administratieve formaliteiten 

  • Hoe schrijf ik me in bij de gemeente?
De diensten van de gemeenten blijven bereikbaar per telefoon en e-mail maar afspraken op het gemeentebestuur zijn niet meer mogelijk. Dus wanneer u een document nodig hebt of een procedure wenst op te starten, dan kunt u terecht op de website van uw gemeente om te bekijken wat u moet doen. 
Staat u voor een dringende administratieve handeling, dan meldt u dit best aan de gemeentelijke overheid zodat deze dit kan bekijken en eventueel toch een afspraak met u vastleggen.

  • Wat als mijn visum afloopt?
Bent u onderdaan van een derde land en kunt u wegens overmacht België niet verlaten (quarantaine, annulering van vlucht, sluiting van een grens enz.), dan kunt u verzoeken om uw verblijfsvergunning te verlengen. 
In de huidige context richt u dit verzoek tot het gemeentebestuur van uw verblijfplaats (per e-mail).

In dringende gevallen kunt u met uw aanvraag rechtstreeks bij de Dienst Vreemdelingenzaken terecht op het adres (als u in een Nederlandstalige gemeente woont) of (als u woont in een Franstalige gemeente).
Informatie over de opmaak van uw aanvraag en de documenten die u hieraan dient toe te voegen, vindt u via deze link:

  • Hoe zit dat met de gecombineerde vergunningen en arbeidsvergunningen?
Aangezien de loketten gesloten zijn, verstuurt u een aanvraagdossier voor een arbeidsvergunning of een gecombineerde vergunning (of een hernieuwing hiervan) per e-mail naar het volgende adres: Hierbij volgt u nauwgezet de procedure die hier staat omschreven:

2. De huurovereenkomst

  • Ik ben tijdelijk werkloos en ik heb het moeilijk om de huur te betalen. Wat kan ik doen?
De huur betalen blijft een basisplicht voor de huurder aangezien hij gebruik blijft maken van de woning. De crisis van het coronavirus kan dus geen aanleiding zijn om de betaling van de huur op te schorten. Toch moet ieder geval apart worden bekeken. De beste oplossing om uitstel te verkrijgen voor de betaling van het huurgeld of een tijdelijke vermindering van het huurbedrag is steeds rechtstreeks de dialoog aangaan met de huisbaas. Opgelet, ongeacht de gemaakte afspraak, moet deze steeds door beide partijen zijn ondertekend!

  • Hoe kan ik voldoen aan de plicht tot onderhoud en herstelling zo lang de inperkende maatregelen zoals de lockdown en de social distancing van kracht zijn? 
Tijdens de lockdown mogen enkel dringende herstellingen worden uitgevoerd en ingrepen die schade aan de huurwoning voorkomen. Daarbij is het wel belangrijk dat de regels inzake social distancing worden nageleefd (minstens 1,5 meter afstand tussen de aanwezige personen) en dat de ramen worden geopend om de woning te verluchten tijdens het bezoek van de hersteller.

  • Mijn huisbaas wil tijdens de lockdown de woning bezoeken met kandidaat-bewoners. Ben ik verplicht dit te aanvaarden?
Tijdens de lockdown mogen geen bezoeken worden afgelegd in verband met de huurovereenkomst. De huurder van de woning heeft het recht zich tegen dit soort bezoeken te verzetten. De verhuurder dient op het einde van de inperkingsmaatregelen te wachten om de woning te bezoeken. 

  • Hoe organiseer je een verhuizing?
Er wordt gevraagd dat verhuizingen in de mate van het mogelijke worden uitgesteld. In dringende gevallen is een verhuizing echter toegestaan op voorwaarde dat hierbij de maatregelen inzake social distancing worden nageleefd. Enkel wie betrokken is bij de adreswijziging en professionele verhuizers mogen de verhuizing aanvatten. 

  • Ik moet dringend verhuizen. Kan ik voorwerpen kwijt op het containerpark? 
Ja, de containerparken blijven open maar wie er naartoe wil, moet zich strikt houden aan de instructies.

3. Internationale verplaatsingen

N.B. : Het is essentieel dat u de respectieve nationale wetgevingen en bijkomende maatregelen naleeft van het land waar u naartoe gaat. Deze vindt u op de website van de bevoegde buitenlandse overheden.

  • Mag ik vanuit België naar het buitenland reizen?
Als algemeen principe geldt dat elke niet-essentiële reis naar het buitenland verboden is. Ook verplaatsingen naar een tweede verblijf in het buitenland zijn verboden. Een lijst met essentiële verplaatsingen vindt u hier. Bovendien moet u steeds in het bezit zijn van een identiteitskaart en/of een paspoort en een bewijsstuk dat de essentiële verplaatsing verantwoordt (deze documenten moeten vóór de afreis zijn voorbereid). 

  • Mag je naar België terugkeren vanuit het buitenland?
Elke persoon met de Belgische nationaliteit (met of zonder hoofdverblijfplaats in België), buitenlanders die duurzaam in België verblijven en personen die in België hun wettige verblijfplaats hebben mogen naar België terugkeren, maar wel op twee voorwaarden:
  • De persoon dient 14 dagen thuis in te blijven;
  • De persoon mag 14 dagen lang niet buitenshuis gaan werken (ook al is deze actief in een essentiële sector). Telewerken blijft toegestaan. 
Deze beide voorwaarden gelden voor iedere persoon die terugkomt uit het buitenland, ongeacht het vervoermiddel dat daarbij gebruikt is (met het vliegtuig, over land of per schip).

  • Ik moet naar België om beroepsredenen. Hoe doe ik dat? 
Als grensarbeider (van een essentiële of een niet-essentiële sector) mag u vrij het Belgisch grondgebied verlaten en opnieuw betreden voor de uitoefening van uw beroepsactiviteit, en dit met het vervoermiddel van uw keuze. Wel dient u steeds in het bezit te zijn van een identiteitskaart en/of paspoort en een attest van de werkgever (of een document van de onderneming zoals een bewijs van het zelfstandigenstatuut) wanneer u de grens oversteekt.

Voor professionele verplaatsingen van werknemers in cruciale beroepen of sectoren mag tussen België en Nederland bilateraal een papieren vignet worden gebruikt.

  • Hoe zit dat met verplaatsingen van ambtenaren die werken in een internationale organisatie? 
Ook al zijn niet-essentiële reizen vanuit en naar België verboden, toch laten de Conventies van Wenen en de zetelakkoorden enige soepelheid toe voor personeel van diplomatieke en consulaire missies en ambtenaren van internationale organisaties. 
De Directie Protocol heeft hierover een verbale nota opgesteld die u hier vindt:

4. Kinderopvang

  • Is er nog steeds kinderopvang?
De kinderopvang blijft open maar is voorbehouden voor kinderen van ouders die een « cruciale » functie uitoefenen, zoals de eerstelijnsfuncties (artsen, gezondheidswerkers, zorgpersoneel in de rusthuizen, veiligheidsdiensten e.d.) of die ondersteuning bieden aan de eerste lijn (kinderopvang, leerkrachten, personeel van het openbaar vervoer, van voedingswinkels enz.). Dit geldt ook voor kinderen van ouders die voor de opvang enkel terechtkunnen bij de grootouders, een kwetsbare bevolkingsgroep die gevrijwaard moet worden.
Behoudens deze situaties worden ouders verzocht hun kinderen in de gezinswoning te houden. 

  • Hoe staat het met de scholen?
Alle lessen en buitenschoolse activiteiten (voor klassen van het kleuter-, lager en secundair onderwijs) zijn onderbroken. Er wordt wel steeds in opvang voorzien, maar net zoals in de kinderdagverblijven is deze voorbehouden voor kinderen van ouders die een « cruciale » functie uitoefenen of voor kinderen van ouders die voor de opvang enkel bij de grootouders terechtkunnen. 

5. Burgerlijke evenementen

  • Mogen huwelijken plaatsvinden? 
Burgerlijke (en religieuze) huwelijken mogen plaatsvinden, maar enkel in aanwezigheid van de echtgenoten, hun getuigen en de ambtenaar van de burgerlijke stand (of een geestelijke). 

  • Welke regels gelden voor begrafenissen en crematies?
Begrafenisplechtigheden mogen plaatsvinden. Hierbij mogen echter slechts 15 personen aanwezig zijn en deze moeten een onderlinge afstand van 1,5 meter bewaren. Ook mag het stoffelijk overschot van de overledene niet worden opgebaard.

6. Inschrijving van een voertuig /Technische controle

  • Hoe laat ik mijn nummerplaat schrappen?
Aangezien de plaatselijke afdelingen en de loketten van de DIV momenteel gesloten zijn, kunnen geen nummerplaten meer worden ingediend om te worden geschrapt.
Voor meer informatie is er de website 

  • Kan ik met mijn voertuig naar de technische controle?
Neen. De Brusselse centra voor technische controle zijn gesloten. De geldigheidsduur van keuringsbewijzen die sinds 1 maart 2020 zijn verlopen, is met zes maanden verlengd.
De geldigheidsduur van keuringsbewijzen die verlopen tijdens de maand die volgt op de heropening van de centra voor technische controle wordt uitzonderlijk met twee maanden verlengd.

7. Werk-Tijdelijke werkloosheid

Heb ik recht op een werkloosheidsuitkering omwille van Covid-19?

De RVA heeft hierover FAQ opgesteld.

Ook verwijzen wij naar onze vorige newsletter over de weerslag van Covid-19 op het leven als expat.

8. Leven in de praktijk

  • Wordt het huisvuil nog steeds opgehaald?
Ja. De Covid-19-crisis heeft de werking van Net Brussel ietwat verstoord, en dan vooral de ophaling van de blauwe en gele zakken. Om redenen van volksgezondheid halen de teams van Net Brussel op hun ronde in bepaalde zones daarom de verschillende afvaltypes samen op. Ook gebeurt een deel van de ophaling in de namiddag.

  • Welke vervoermiddelen mag ik gebruiken?
Het openbaar vervoer verzekert de dienst op essentiële trajecten mits een aantal veiligheidsmaatregelen worden nageleefd.

Taxi’s mogen klanten vervoeren op voorwaarde dat de verschillende personen een onderlinge afstand bewaren van 1,5 meter. Het aantal personen dat tegelijk vervoerd mag worden, hangt hierdoor af van het type voertuig. De afstandsregel geldt niet voor personen die onder hetzelfde dak wonen. Er wordt aanbevolen het voertuig regelmatig schoon te maken.

mag, maar ook hier moet een onderlinge afstand van minstens 1,5 meter worden bewaard. Het aantal personen dat tegelijk vervoerd mag worden, hangt af van het type voertuig.

De diensten van deelsteps zijn momenteel beperkt of opgeschort. Meer informatie vindt u op de websites van de operatoren. 

  • Zijn de parkeermaatregelen nog steeds van kracht?
Neen. Het toezicht op het gereglementeerd parkeren is in de 19 Brusselse gemeenten opgeschort tot nader order, en dit zowel op het betalend gedeelte als in de blauwe zone (met schijf). Opgelet, de verkeersregels blijven gelden en de lokale politie blijft controleren op verboden of storend parkeren en op overtredingen op plaatsen voor PBM. 

  • Welke maatregelen neemt men in de ziekenhuizen?
Alle geplande maar niet dringende raadplegingen, onderzoeken en operaties moeten worden afgezegd. Enkel dringende en/of hoogstnoodzakelijke raadplegingen, onderzoeken en operaties zijn toegestaan. Alle lopende en noodzakelijke therapieën (chemotherapie, dialyse, e.d.) worden voortgezet. Patiënten mogen door één enkele persoon vergezeld worden.  

Bij bevallingen dient het ziekenhuisverblijf zo kort mogelijk gehouden te worden; dit wordt bepaald in samenspraak met uw behandelend geneesheer. Uw partner mag bij de bevalling aanwezig zijn en ook enkel uw partner mag op bezoek komen. Bezoek van familieleden is niet toegestaan. Voor het overige volgt u de richtlijnen van het ziekenhuis.


Wij zetten nog even een aantal dingen op een rijtje:

=> Alle maatregelen die door de Belgische Regering zijn genomen in verband met het coronavirus staan op de website van het « Nationaal Crisiscentrum (NCCN) - ». Het crisiscentrum is de klok rond beschikbaar om alle mogelijke dringende informatie te verzamelen, te onderzoeken en door te spelen naar de bevoegde instanties.

=> U kunt ook terecht op de algemene website van de Federale Overheidsdienst Volksgezondheid over het coronavirus ( die op zijn beurt ook instaat voor het samenbrengen van alle nuttige informatie. 

=> Er bestaat ook een groen nummer waarop u van 8u00 tot 20u00 met al uw vragen terechtkunt: 0800 14 689

=> Woont u in het Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest en hebt u geen huisarts, contacteer dan het nummer 1710. Dit telefoonnummer is er enkel voor de Brusselaars en biedt toegang tot dispatching van huisartsen die advies kunnen geven bij uw gezondheidstoestand en u naar de juiste diensten doorverwijzen. Het nummer is in de eerste plaats in het leven geroepen voor mensen met symptomen als hoesten, verkoudheid en koorts die vermoeden dat ze besmet zijn met het coronavirus. Het nummer is doorlopend bereikbaar (24u op 24, 7 dagen op 7).

De Expat Welcome Desk blijft heel deze periode beschikbaar! Neem gerust contact met ons op per telefoon of e-mail ( 
En vue de lutter activement contre la propagation du Covid-19, les autorités belges ont pris diverses mesures, notamment celle d’imposer un confinement au sein de tout le pays. La vie quotidienne de chacun est donc impactée par ces règles. Quelles conséquences sur le bail d’habitation ? Est-ce que les mariages peuvent être maintenus ? Que faire si vous devez vous rendre à l’étranger ? L’Expat Welcome Desk vous dit tout. 

1. Les démarches administratives 

  • Comment puis-je m’inscrire à la commune ?
Les divers services communaux restent accessibles par téléphone et e-mail mais les prises de rendez-vous sont suspendues. Ainsi, si vous avez besoin d’un document ou d’entamer une démarche quelconque, vous devez vous rendre sur le site internet de votre commune afin de consulter la marche à suivre pour obtenir ce document. 
Si vous devez effectuer une démarche en urgence, vous devez le signaler aux autorités communales afin qu’elles puissent analyser votre cas et vous fixer éventuellement un rendez-vous.

  • Que faire lorsque mon visa arrive à terme ?
Si vous êtes ressortissant de pays tiers et que vous êtes dans l’impossibilité de quitter la Belgique pour des raisons de forces majeures (quarantaine, annulation d’un vol, fermeture d’une frontière, etc.), vous pouvez demander l’autorisation de prolonger votre séjour. 
Étant donné le contexte actuel, votre requête peut être adressée à l’administration communale de votre lieu de résidence (par e-mail).
Néanmoins, en cas d’urgence, votre demande peut être adressée directement à l’Office des étrangers, à l’adresse (si vous résidez dans une commune néerlandophone), ou (si vous résidez dans une commune francophone).
Pour rédiger votre demande et y inclure les documents nécessaires veuillez consulter le lien suivant :

  • Qu’en est-il des permis uniques/permis de travail ?
Étant donné que les guichets sont fermés, si vous souhaitez introduire une demande pour un permis de travail ou un permis unique (ou pour un renouvellement), vous devez le faire en envoyant votre dossier via l’adresse e-mail suivante en respectant la procédure décrite sur le lien suivant :

2. Le bail d’habitation

  • Je suis au chômage temporaire et j’ai des difficultés pour payer mon loyer, que faire ?
Payer son loyer reste une obligation principale pour le locataire puisqu’il a toujours la jouissance du bien et la crise du coronavirus ne peut pas être un prétexte pour ne plus payer son loyer, soudainement. Toutefois, les situations doivent s’analyser au cas par cas. Le dialogue avec le propriétaire reste la meilleure solution pour tenter d’obtenir de sa part un report des paiements du loyer ou une diminution temporaire de la mensualité. Attention il faut un accord écrit des parties !

  • Qu’en est-il des obligations en matière d’entretien et de réparation lié aux mesures restrictives de maintien au domicile et de distanciation sociale? 
Durant cette période de confinement, seules les réparations urgentes ou pouvant causer d’autres dommages au bien locatif peuvent être effectuées. Il est important de maintenir les mesures de distanciation sociale (minimum 1,5 mètre entre les personnes) et d’ouvrir les fenêtres pour ventiler le logement lors de la visite du réparateur.

  • Mon propriétaire veut organiser des visites du bien durant le confinement, dois-je accepter ?
Les visites dans le cadre de la location ne sont pas possibles étant donné les mesures de confinement. Le locataire occupant les lieux est en droit de s’opposer aux visites. Le bailleur devra donc attendre la fin du confinement pour procéder aux visites du bien. 

  • Comment organiser un déménagement ?
Il est demandé de reporter les déménagements dans la mesure du possible. Toutefois, un déménagement urgent est autorisé à condition que les mesures de distanciation sociale soient respectées. Seules les personnes concernées par le changement d’adresse et les déménageurs professionnels peuvent effectuer le déménagement. 

  • En cas de déménagement urgent, est-il possible d’évacuer certains objets au parc à conteneurs ? 
Oui, les parcs à conteneurs restent ouverts mais leur fréquentation est soumise à des consignes précises.

3. Les déplacements internationaux

N.B. : Il est impératif de respecter les réglementations nationales respectives et les mesures supplémentaires prises dans le pays dans lequel vous vous rendez. Celles-ci sont disponibles sur les sites web des autorités étrangères compétentes.

  • Puis-je me rendre à l’étranger depuis la Belgique ?
Le principe général est que tout voyage non essentiel à l'étranger est interdit. Par ailleurs, les déplacements vers un second lieu de résidence à l'étranger sont également prohibés. Une liste des voyages essentiels est disponible ici. En outre, vous devez être en possession d’un document d’identité et/ou d’un passeport et d’une preuve justifiant l’exécution de ce déplacement essentiel (ces documents doivent être préparés avant le départ). 

  • Peut-on revenir en Belgique depuis l’étranger ?
Toute personne de nationalité belge (avec ou sans résidence principale en Belgique), les résidents de longue durée ainsi que les personnes ayant une résidence légale en Belgique peuvent revenir en Belgique, sous réserve de deux conditions :
  • La personne doit rester confinée à la maison pendant 14 jours ;
  • La personne a l’interdiction de travailler à l’extérieur pendant 14 jours (même si elle est employée dans un secteur essentiel). Le télétravail reste néanmoins autorisé. 
Ces deux conditions s’appliquent à la personne qui revient de l’étranger et ce, qu’importe le mode de transport utilisé lors de son retour (aérien, terrestre et maritime).

  • Je dois me rendre en Belgique pour des raisons professionnelles, comment faire ? 
En tant que travailleur frontalier (pour un secteur essentiel ou non-essentiel), vous pouvez entrer et sortir aisément du territoire belge afin d’exercer votre activité professionnelle et ce, avec le(s) moyen(s) de transport de votre choix. Toutefois, vous devez impérativement être en possession d’une pièce d’identité et/ou d’un passeport et d’une attestation de l’employeur (ou d’un document de l’entreprise tel qu’une preuve du statut d’indépendant) afin de traverser la frontière.
Pour les déplacements professionnels des travailleurs des métiers/secteurs cruciaux, une vignette papier peut être utilisée bilatéralement entre la Belgique et les Pays-Bas.

  • Quid des déplacements des fonctionnaires travaillant dans une organisation internationale? 
Bien que les voyages non essentiels au départ de la Belgique et vers la Belgique soient interdits, les Conventions de Vienne et accords de siège permettent d’appliquer des flexibilités en faveur des membres du personnel des missions diplomatiques ou des postes consulaires et des fonctionnaires des organisations internationales. 
La Direction du Protocole a rédigé à ce sujet une note verbale disponible ici :

4. L’accueil des enfants

  • Les crèches et les gardiennes poursuivent-elles leurs activités ?
L’accueil dans les crèches est maintenu mais limité aux enfants dont les parents exercent une fonction « cruciale », à savoir des fonctions de première ligne (les médecins, les professionnels de la santé, le personnel soignant dans les maisons de repos, les services de sécurité, etc…) ou de soutien à cette première ligne (personnel d’accueil de l’enfance, enseignants, personnel des transports publics, des magasins d’alimentation, etc.). Il en va de même pour les enfants de parents qui n’ont d’autres choix que de confier la garde de leurs enfants aux grands-parents qui sont un public fragile.
Au-delà de ces situations, il est demandé aux parents de garder leurs enfants au domicile familial. 

  • Qu’en est-il des écoles ?
Les cours et les activités extra-scolaires (pour les classes de maternelle, primaire, secondaire) sont interrompues. Néanmoins un système de garderie reste assuré, mais comme pour les crèches ce service est limité aux enfants dont les parents exercent une fonction « cruciale » ou pour les parents qui n’ont pas d’autres choix que de confier la garde des enfants aux grands-parents. 

5. Les événements civils

  • Les mariages peuvent-ils avoir lieu ? 
Les mariages civils (ou religieux) peuvent avoir lieu mais seulement en présence des conjoints, de leurs témoins et de l’officier de l'état civil (ou du ministre du culte). 

  • Quelles sont les règles applicables pour les funérailles et crémations ?
Les cérémonies funéraires peuvent avoir lieu. Cependant, 15 personnes maximum sont autorisées et celles-ci doivent respecter une distance de 1,5 mètre entre elles. En outre, le corps du défunt ne peut pas être exposé.

6. L’immatriculation du véhicule/Contrôle technique

  • Comment faire pour la radiation de ma plaque d’immatriculation ?
Étant donné que les antennes et guichets de la DIV sont actuellement fermés, plus aucune plaque ne peut être déposée en vue de sa radiation.

Pour plus d’informations, consultez le site  

  • Puis-je passer mon contrôle technique ?
Non. Les centres de contrôle technique bruxellois sont fermés. La période de validité des certificats de contrôle technique dont la période de validité est échue depuis le 1er mars 2020 est prolongée de 6 mois.
La période de validité des certificats de contrôle technique dont la période de validité est échue dans le mois suivant la réouverture des centres de contrôle technique est exceptionnellement prolongée de 2 mois.

7. Travail-Chômage temporaire

Ais-je droit à des allocations de chômage temporaire suite au covid-19?
L’ONEM a réalisé des FAQ complètes sur ce sujet.
Nous vous renvoyons aussi à notre dernière newsletter sur l’impact du Covid-19 sur le travail.

8. Vie pratique

  • Le ramassage des déchets reste-t-il d’application ?
Oui. La crise du Covid-19 a entraîné quelques perturbations dans les missions de Bruxelles-Propreté, notamment dans la collecte des sacs bleus et jaunes. Cependant, pour des raisons de salubrité publique, les équipes collecteront dans certaines zones l’ensemble des fractions de déchets présents sur leur tournée. En outre, ces collectes auront lieu en partie en après-midi.

  • Quels moyens de transport puis-je utiliser ?
Les transports en commun sont toujours actifs pour les trajets essentiels moyennant le respect de certaines mesures de sécurité.

Les taxis sont autorisés à transporter des clients moyennant le respect d’une distance minimale de 1,5 mètre entre chaque personne. Le nombre de personnes qui peuvent être transportées varie donc en fonction du type de véhicule. Le respect de la règle de distance physique ne s’applique pas aux personnes vivant sous le même toit. Il est conseillé d’aérer et de nettoyer régulièrement le véhicule.

Les initiatives de covoiturage peuvent se poursuivre mais une distance minimale de 1,5 mètre doit être maintenue entre chaque personne. Le nombre de personnes qui peuvent être transportées varie donc en fonction du type de véhicule.

Les services de trottinettes partagées sont actuellement réduits ou en pause. Plus d’information sur la page des opérateurs.

  • Les mesures de stationnement sont-elles toujours en vigueur ?
Non. Le contrôle du stationnement réglementé est suspendu dans les 19 communes bruxelloises jusqu’à nouvel ordre, en zone payante comme en zone bleue (à disque). Attention, le code de la route reste d’application et les polices locales continueront à contrôler le stationnement interdit ou gênant et le respect des places réservées aux PMR.

  • Quelles mesures sont prises dans les hôpitaux ?
Toutes les consultations, tests et opérations planifiés et non urgents doivent être annulés. Uniquement les consultations, examens et interventions urgentes et/ou indispensables peuvent avoir lieu. Toutes les thérapies nécessaires existantes (chimiothérapies, dialyses,…) seront poursuivies.   Les patients peuvent être accompagnés d’une seule personne.  

En cas d’accouchement le séjour à l’hôpital devra être le plus court possible ; cela sera déterminé en concertation avec votre médecin traitant. Votre partenaire peut être présent à la naissance et seules les visites de votre partenaire sont autorisées. Les visites familiales ne sont plus autorisées. En outre, vous devez suivre les directives de l’hôpital.

Nous vous rappelons que vous pouvez retrouver :

=> Toutes les mesures prises par le Gouvernement belge liées au coronavirus sur le site « Le Centre de crise National (NCCN) - ». Une permanence ininterrompue (24h sur 24, 7 jours sur 7) pour la collecte, l'analyse et la diffusion de toutes sortes d'informations urgentes aux instances compétentes est assurée.

=> Vous pouvez aussi consulter le site général du Service Public Fédéral Santé publique sur le coronavirus ( qui, lui aussi, regroupe toutes les informations utiles 

=> Un numéro vert est également mis à votre disposition. Ce numéro est accessible de 8h00 à 20h00 pour toutes vos questions: 0800 14 689

=> Si vous êtes résident en Région de Bruxelles-Capitale et que vous n’avez pas de médecin traitant, contactez le 1710. Cette ligne téléphonique, mise en place uniquement pour les Bruxellois, donne accès à un dispatching de médecins généralistes pouvant vous conseiller quant à votre état de santé et vous orienter convenablement. Celle-ci s’adresse en priorité aux personnes présentant des symptômes de toux, rhume ou de fièvre, suspectant une atteinte au coronavirus. Une permanence ininterrompue est assurée (24h sur 24, 7 jours sur 7).

L’Expat Welcome Desk reste à votre disposition durant cette période ! N’hésitez pas à nous contacter par téléphone ou par e-mail (