14 April: What impact on my expat life?

The Covid-19 pandemic currently afflicting Belgium is paralysing this country and many others. The authorities have closed the borders for non-essential travel and confinement has been imposed throughout Belgium, making a number of administrative procedures complicated for expats. How can you register with the commune? What should you do if your visa expires? How can you renew your work permit? How do you negotiate with your landlord to pay rent by instalments? The Expat Welcome Desk explains everything below!


The 19 communes in the Brussels-Capital Region have published on their websites the new measures introduced in the current situation.

In general, the various communal services remain accessible by telephone and email while appointments have been suspended. Therefore, if you need a document or any service whatsoever, you should first go to your local commune’s website to find out the procedure to follow.

If you need to take urgent action for something, you should inform the commune authorities so that they can evaluate your case and make an appointment if necessary.

If you are a third-country national and unable to leave Belgium due to force majeure (quarantine, flight cancellation, border closure, etc.), you may apply for permission to extend your stay. In order to minimise movement and contact between people, your request can be sent to the commune administration of your place of residence by e-mail.

Nevertheless, in an emergency, you may address your request directly to the Immigration Office, by email to (if you live in a Dutch-speaking commune) or (if you live in a French-speaking commune).

You must attach the following information and documents to your e-mail:
  • A copy of your passport (number and validity, personal data, pages used);
  • A copy of your arrival declaration (annex 3 of the Royal Decree of 08/10/1981);
  • A letter explaining why you are unable to leave the Schengen territory on the scheduled date;
  • Documents confirming the impediment to your departure;
  • Travel health insurance valid for the duration of the desired extension;
  • Your address of residence in Belgium;
  • A contact e-mail address.

The Immigration Office will send you its decision by email. Please remember that the timeframe for evaluating requests may be longer than usual in view of the current situation.

If you would like to contact the Infodesk of the Immigration Office, you should send an email to

For more information, please visit this site:


As the service counters are closed, if you wish to apply for a work permit or a single permit, you must do so by sending your application file to the following e-mail address: . The information and forms that you need for your application are available at

You must comply with the following points when submitting your request by e-mail:
  • Scan the signed documents and check that the scans are legible;
  • Save all attachments in PDF format (one or more files);
  • The subject of the e-mail must be "REQUEST";
  • Attach your annexes (maximum 20 MB per request);
  • Keep the original documents available.

Can you renew your work permit if you are in temporary unemployment (and therefore loss of salary)?

As long as a clear reason is provided with your request for renewal or annual employment report, Brussels Economy and Employment will be flexible in terms of the annual salary scales, and will take into account the current exceptional circumstances. For this, you could include your National Employment Office (ONEM/RVA) certificate.

For more information, please visit this site:

As the Covid-19 situation is “exceptional”, the Brussels Housing Code does not include any specific regulation governing the rights and obligations of tenants and landlords in such a case. Paying the rent remains a primary obligation for the tenant since he or she still has full use of the property and the coronavirus crisis cannot be a pretext for suddenly not paying the rent. However, situations should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Dialogue with the landlord remains the best solution to try to obtain a deferment of rent payments or a temporary reduction in monthly payment. But be careful... a written agreement between the parties will be required!

The tenants' union has asked the government to set up a safeguard plan to protect the interests of tenants affected by this pandemic. These measures include the following 5 points.

1. A freeze on rent indexation;
2. A 25% reduction in rent for people affected by coronavirus;
3. Persons who due to coronavirus are unable to move to their new rental property should have the right to remain in the accommodation they occupy, without being bound to pay rent to the new landlord under the new contract;
4. The possibility of negotiating a lower rent when the rented accommodation does not comply with regulations on health and minimum comfort;
5. Exemption from rent payment for students who are unable to occupy their studio “kots”.

It remains to be seen what the Government will decide in relation to these proposals. In the meantime, you are advised to maintain dialogue and be conciliatory with your landlord.

In order to limit non-essential travel as much as possible, the best solution is that "everyone stays where they are". If a new tenant is due to move into a property during the period of confinement, arrangements should be made between the various parties to postpone the move. However, if the different persons involved are able to organise the move in compliance with the imposed measures, then this can go ahead.

No-one can evict you during the confinement period. As the landlord is never entitled to do this himself, he can only do so on the basis of a court order. But since the courts are closed at the current time, this could be difficult! In addition, bailiffs are forbidden to carry out administrative or judicial evictions during confinement.

Visits in connection with property rental are not possible in view of confinement measures. The tenant occupying the premises is entitled to object to visits. The landlord (lessor) will therefore have to wait until the end of confinement to carry out visits to the property.

For more information, feel free to contact the Expat Welcome Desk by e-mail or phone.
This pandemic, confinement and self-isolation can create a lot of anxiety and fear. That's why it's also important to take care of your mental health. On the internet, you can find advice on how to overcome your anxieties, but sometimes this may not be enough!

So don't hesitate to contact the Community Help Service (CHS) on 02/684 40 14. Accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, this number will put you in contact with a member of their team who can give you information, help you or listen to you, if you feel anxious and want to talk about it to someone who speaks English!

For more information, please visit this site:



All the measures taken by the Belgian government related to coronavirus on The National Crisis Centre (NCCN) site. This centre provides the continuous (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) collection, analysis and circulation of all kinds of urgent information for the relevant authorities.

- You can also consult the general site of the Federal Public Service Public Health on coronavirus which summarises the latest information.

- A toll-free number is also available from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm for all your questions: 0800 14 689

- If you are resident in the Brussels-Capital Region and you do not have a GP, call 1710. This phone line, set up specially for Brussels residents, is a central coordination point for general practitioners who can advise you on your state of health and give you appropriate guidance. It is primarily intended for people with cough, cold or fever symptoms who think they may be infected by coronavirus. The line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

- The Expat Welcome Desk is also available for you during this period! Don’t hesitate to contact us by phone or by e-mail

De Covid-19 pandemie die vandaag woedt, heeft België en talloze andere landen grotendeels lamgelegd. Overheden hebben de grenzen gesloten voor niet-essentiële reizen en het hele land is in thuisafzondering geplaatst, wat voor expats een hele reeks administratieve stappen sterk bemoeilijkt. Hoe verloopt nu de inschrijving op de gemeente? Wat moet er gebeuren als uw visum afloopt? Hoe vernieuwt u de arbeidsvergunning? Hoe onderhandelt u met uw huisbaas een gespreide betaling van de huur? De Expat Welcome Desk legt uit!

De 19 gemeenten van het Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest lijsten op hun website de maatregelen op die gelden in de huidige context.

Globaal gezien blijven de verschillende gemeentediensten bereikbaar per telefoon en e-mail maar afspraken op het gemeentebestuur zijn niet meer mogelijk. Dus wanneer u een document nodig hebt of een procedure wenst op te starten, dan kunt u terecht op de website van uw gemeente om te bekijken wat u moet doen.

Staat u voor een dringende administratieve handeling, dan meldt u dit best aan de gemeentelijke overheid zodat deze dit kan bekijken en eventueel toch een afspraak met u kan vastleggen.

Bent u onderdaan van een derde land en kunt u wegens overmacht België niet verlaten (quarantaine, annulering van vlucht, sluiting van een grens enz.), dan kunt u verzoeken om uw verblijfsvergunning te verlengen. Om uw verplaatsingen en contacten te beperken, richt u het verzoek per e-mail tot het gemeentebestuur van uw verblijfplaats.

In dringende gevallen kunt u per e-mail rechtstreeks bij de Dienst Vreemdelingenzaken terecht op het adres (als u in een Nederlandstalige gemeente woont) of (als u woont in een Franstalige gemeente).

Aan uw e-mail voegt u de volgende informatie en documenten toe:

  • Een kopie van uw paspoort (nummer en geldigheidsdatum, persoonsgegevens, gebruikte pagina’s);
  • Een kopie van uw aankomstverklaring (bijlage 3 bij het koninklijk besluit van 08/10/1981);
  • Een brief waarin u uitlegt waarom u het Schengen-grondgebied niet op de voorziene datum kunt verlaten;
  • De documenten die de verhindering bevestigen;
  • Een ziekteverzekering op reis, geldig voor de duur van de gewenste verlenging;
  • Uw verblijfadres in België;
  • Een contactadres per e-mail.
De Dienst Vreemdelingenzaken deelt u zijn beslissing ook per e-mail mee. Vergeet niet dat de onderzoekstermijn van de aanvragen kan toenemen in deze uitzonderlijke omstandigheden.

Als u contact wenst op te nemen met de Infodesk van de Dienst Vreemdelingenzaken, stuur dan een e-mail naar

Meer informatie
vindt u op de website :
Aangezien de loketten gesloten zijn, verstuurt u een aanvraagdossier voor een arbeidsvergunning of een unieke vergunning per e-mail naar het volgende adres: Alle informatie en formulieren die u hiervoor nodig hebt, vindt u op de website

Let goed op de volgende elementen als u uw aanvraag indient per e-mail:
  • Scan de ondertekende documenten en kijk goed na of de scans leesbaar zijn;
  • Sla alle bijlagen op in pdf-formaat (één of meerdere bestanden);
  • Vermeld « AANVRAAG » als voorwerp;
  • Voeg de bijlage toe (met een plafond van 20 MB per aanvraag);
  • Houd de originelen beschikbaar.
Kan uw arbeidsvergunning worden hernieuwd als u tijdelijk werkloos bent (en dus geen loon krijgt)?

Op voorwaarde dat hiervoor een duidelijke verantwoording wordt gegeven op het ogenblik van de hernieuwingsaanvraag of bij de jaarlijkse controle van de voorwaarden, verbindt Brussel Economie en Werkgelegenheid zich ertoe soepel om te gaan voor wat de jaarlijkse loonbarema’s betreft en rekening te houden met de uitzonderlijke omstandigheden. Hiervoor kan bijvoorbeeld het RVA-attest worden toegevoegd.

Meer informatie vind u op de website :

De toestand als gevolg van Covid-19 is ongezien en dus voorziet de Brusselse Huisvestingscode hiervoor geen specifieke regels om de rechten en plichten van huurders en verhuurders te bepalen. De huur betalen blijft een basisplicht voor de huurder aangezien hij gebruik blijft maken van het pand en dus kan de crisis van het coronavirus geen aanleiding zijn om plots de huur niet langer te betalen. Toch moet ieder geval apart worden bekeken. De beste oplossing om uitstel te verkrijgen voor de betaling van het huurgeld of een tijdelijke vermindering van het huurbedrag is altijd rechtstreeks de dialoog aangaan met de huisbaas. Opgelet, ongeacht de gemaakte afspraak, moet hiervan steeds een schriftelijke neerslag bestaan die door beide partijen is ondertekend!

De huurdersbond heeft de regering verzocht om een vrijwaringsplan dat de belangen van de huurders die door de pandemie zijn getroffen beschermt. Het gaat onder meer om de volgende maatregelen:

1. Bevriezing van de huurprijzen.
2. Vermindering van de huur met 25% voor personen die nadeel ondervinden van het coronavirus.
3. Personen die door het coronavirus onmogelijk naar hun nieuwe huurwoning kunnen verhuizen, moeten het recht hebben in hun huidige woning te blijven zonder aan de nieuwe eigenaar huur te moeten betalen zoals bepaald in de nieuwe huurovereenkomst.
4. De mogelijkheid om te onderhandelen over een lagere huur als de verhuurde woning niet voldoet aan de minimale regels inzake hygiëne en comfort.
5. Vrijstelling van de huur voor studenten die niet in hun kot terechtkunnen.

Het is dus afwachten wat de regering met deze voorstellen zal doen en ondertussen blijft bemiddeling met de eigenaar de beste optie.

Om niet-essentiële verplaatsingen zoveel mogelijk te vermijden, is de beste oplossing steeds dat “iedereen blijft waar hij is”. Als voorzien is dat een nieuwe huurder zijn woning tijdens de période van afzondering betrekt, moeten de betrokken partijen tot een overeenkomst komen om de verhuizing uit te stellen naar later. Kunnen de betrokkenen echter een verhuizing organiseren die voldoet aan de opgelegde maatregelen, dan blijft deze mogelijk.

Tijdens de afzonderingsperiode mag u door niemand uit uw woning worden gezet. Aangezien de verhuurder hiervoor zelf niet bevoegd is, kan hij enkel overgaan tot uitzetting via een vonnis van de rechtbank. Maar aangezien de rechtbanken momenteel gesloten zijn, lijkt dit dus bijzonder moeilijk! Bovendien is het ook voor gerechtsdeurwaarders verboden om tijdens de afzonderingsperiode tot administratieve of gerechtelijke uitzetting over te gaan.

Een bezoek brengen aan een woning met het oog op een huurovereenkomst is niet mogelijk omwille van de afzonderingsmaatregelen. De bewoner van de huurwoning heeft het recht zich tegen dit soort bezoeken te verzetten.
Voor meer informatie kunt u steeds contact opnemen met de Expat Welcome Desk per e-mail of per telefoon.

De pandemie, de afzondering en het opgelegd isolement kunnen leiden tot angst en onrust. Daarom is het bijzonder belangrijk dat u zorg draagt voor uw geestelijke gezondheid. Op het internet vindt u alvast heel wat tips om uw angsten te overwinnen, maar soms volstaat dit niet!

Aarzel daarom niet om de Community Help Service (CHS) te contacteren op nr. 02/684 40 14. Dit nummer is 24u/24u en zeven dagen per week bemand om u in contact te brengen met het CHS-team dat u informeert, bijstaat en naar u luistert als u zit met een gevoel van onbehagen of als u met iemand wenst te praten die het Engels machtig is!

Voor meer informatie kunt u ook steeds een kijkje nemen op de volgende website:

  • Alle maatregelen die door de Belgische Regering zijn genomen in verband met het coronavirus staan op de website van het Nationaal Crisiscentrum (NCCN). Dit centrum is de klok rond beschikbaar om alle mogelijke dringende informatie te verzamelen, te onderzoeken en door te spelen naar de bevoegde instanties.
  • U kunt ook terecht op de algemene website van de Federale Overheidsdienst Volksgezondheid over het coronavirus die op zijn beurt ook instaat voor het samenbrengen van alle nuttige informatie.
  • Er bestaat ook een groen nummer waarop u van 8u00 tot 20u00 met al uw vragen terechtkunt: 0800 14 689
  • Woont u in het Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest en hebt u geen huisarts, contacteer dan het nummer 1710. Dit telefoonnummer is er enkel voor de Brusselaars en biedt toegang tot dispatching van huisartsen die advies kunnen geven bij uw gezondheidstoestand en u naar de juiste diensten doorverwijzen. Het nummer is in de eerste plaats in het leven geroepen voor mensen met symptomen als hoesten, verkoudheid en koorts die vermoeden dat ze besmet zijn met het coronavirus. Het nummer is doorlopend bereikbaar (24u op 24, 7 dagen op 7).
De Expat Welcome Desk blijft heel deze periode beschikbaar! Neem gerust contact met ons op per telefoon of e-mail (
La pandémie de Covid-19 qui sévit actuellement paralyse la Belgique à l’instar de nombreux pays. En effet, les autorités ont fermé les frontières pour les voyages non-essentiels et un confinement a été mis en place sur l’ensemble du territoire belge, ce qui rend compliqué une série de démarches administratives pour les expats. Comment s’inscrire à la commune ? Que faire si votre visa arrive à terme ? Comment renouveler votre permis de travail ? Comment négocier avec votre bailleur un échelonnement du loyer ? L’Expat Welcome Desk vous explique tout !

Les 19 communes de la Région de Bruxelles-Capitale ont publié sur leur site internet les mesures mises en place dans le contexte actuel.

De manière générale, les divers services communaux restent accessibles par téléphone et e-mail mais les prises de rendez-vous sont suspendues. Ainsi, si vous avez besoin d’un document ou d’entamer une démarche quelconque, vous devez vous rendre sur le site internet de votre commune afin de consulter la marche à suivre pour obtenir ce document.

Si vous devez effectuer une démarche en urgence, vous devez le signaler aux autorités communales afin qu’ils puissent analyser votre cas et vous fixer éventuellement un rendez-vous.

Si vous êtes ressortissant de pays tiers et que vous êtes dans l’impossibilité de quitter la Belgique pour des raisons de forces majeures (quarantaine, annulation d’un vol, fermeture d’une frontière, etc), vous pouvez demander l’autorisation de prolonger votre séjour. Dans un souci de limiter les déplacements et les contacts, votre requête peut être adressée à l’administration communale de votre lieu de résidence, par e-mail.

Néanmoins, en cas d’urgence, votre demande peut être adressée directement à l’Office des étrangers, par e-mail, à l’adresse (si vous résidez dans une commune néerlandophone), ou (si vous résidez dans une commune francophone).

Vous devez joindre les informations et documents suivants à votre e-mail:

  • Une copie de votre passeport (numéro et validité, données personnelles, pages utilisées);
  • Une copie de votre déclaration d’arrivée (annexe 3 à l’arrêté royal du 08/10/1981);
  • Une lettre expliquant pourquoi vous ne pouvez pas quitter le territoire Schengen à la date prévue;
  • Les documents qui confirment l’empêchement;
  • Une assurance maladie en voyage valable pour la durée de la prolongation souhaitée;
  • Votre adresse de résidence en Belgique;
  • Une adresse e-mail de contact.
L’Office des étrangers vous enverra sa décision, par e-mail. N’oubliez pas que le délai d'examen des demandes risque d'augmenter en raison des circonstances exceptionnelles.

Si vous désirez contacter l’Infodesk de l’Office des étrangers, vous devez envoyer un email à

Pour plus d’informations, veuillez consulter ce site :           

Étant donné que les guichets sont fermés, si vous souhaitez introduire une demande pour un permis de travail ou un permis unique, vous devez le faire en envoyant votre dossier via l’adresse e-mail suivante Les informations et les formulaires dont vous avez besoin pour votre requête sont disponibles sur le site

Vous devez respecter les éléments suivants lorsque vous introduisez votre demande par e-mail:
  • Scanner les documents signés et vérifier que les scans sont lisibles;
  • Enregistrer toutes les annexes au format PDF (un ou plusieurs fichiers);
  • L’objet du mail doit être « DEMANDE »;
  • Joindre les annexes (maximum 20 MB par demande);
  • Gardee les documents originaux à disposition.

Est-ce qu’en cas de chômage temporaire (et donc de perte de salaire) vous pouvez renouveler votre permis de travail ?

Pour autant qu’une motivation claire soit fournie à la demande de renouvellement ou au contrôle annuel des conditions d’occupation, Bruxelles Economie Emploi sera souple par rapport aux barèmes salariaux annuels, et tiendra compte de la situation exceptionnelle sur base notamment de l’attestation de l’ONEM.

Pour plus d’informations, veuillez consulter ce site :

La situation liée au Covid-19 étant exceptionnelle, le Code du logement bruxellois ne prévoit pas de règle spécifique régissant les droits et obligations des locataires et propriétaires dans des cas semblables. Payer son loyer reste une obligation principale pour le locataire puisqu’il a toujours la jouissance du bien et la crise du coronavirus ne peut pas être un prétexte pour ne plus payer son loyer soudainement. Toutefois, les situations doivent s’analyser au cas par cas. Le dialogue avec le propriétaire reste la meilleure solution pour tenter d’obtenir de sa part un report des paiements du loyer ou une diminution temporaire de la mensualité. Attention il faut un accord écrit des parties !

Le syndicat des locataires a demandé au gouvernement la mise en place d’un plan de sauvegarde afin de protéger les intérêts des locataires frappés par cette pandémie. Parmi ces mesures on retrouve :

1. Gel de l’indexation des loyers.
2. Diminution de 25% du loyer des personnes impactées par le coronavirus.
3. Les personnes qui, pour cause du coronavirus, sont dans l’impossibilité de déménager vers leur nouvelle location ont le droit de rester dans le logement qu’elles occupent sans être tenues de verser au nouveau bailleur le loyer lié au nouveau contrat.
4. Possibilité de négocier un loyer moins cher quand le logement loué n’est pas conforme aux règles de salubrité et de confort minimal.
5. Exonération du paiement du loyer pour les étudiants qui ne peuvent pas occuper leurs kots.

Il faudra donc voir ce que le Gouvernement décidera par rapport à ces propositions
et en attendant privilégier la conciliation avec le propriétaire.

Afin de limiter un maximum les déplacements non-essentiels la meilleure solution est que « chacun reste à sa place ». Si un nouveau locataire doit emménager dans les lieux durant la période de confinement, il faudra que les différentes parties trouvent un arrangement pour postposer le déménagement. Néanmoins, si les différentes personnes concernées peuvent organiser le déménagement malgré le confinement, cela reste possible.

Durant la période de confinement, personne ne peut vous expulser. Le bailleur n’étant pas habilité à le faire lui-même, il ne peut le faire que sur la base d’un jugement. Sachant que les juridictions sont fermées pour le moment, cela parait donc difficile ! En outre, les huissiers de justice ont interdiction de procéder à des expulsions administratives ou judiciaires durant le confinement.

Les visites dans le cadre de la location ne sont pas possibles étant donné les mesures de confinement. Le locataire occupant les lieux est en droit de s’opposer aux visites. Le bailleur devra donc attendre la fin du confinement pour procéder aux visites du bien.

Pour plus d’informations, n’hésitez pas à contacter l’Expat Welcome Desk par e-mail ou par téléphone.

Cette pandémie, le confinement ainsi que l’isolation forcée peuvent générer beaucoup d’anxiété et de peurs. C’est pourquoi c’est également important de prendre soin de votre santé mentale. Sur internet, vous pouvez trouver des conseils pour surmonter vos angoisses mais parfois, cela ne suffit pas !

N’hésitez donc pas à contacter la ligne de la Community Help Service (CHS) au 02/684 40 14. Ce numéro, accessible 24h/24 et ce, 7 jours sur 7, vous mettra en contact avec un membre de leur équipe qui vous informera, vous aidera ou vous écoutera si vous ressentez un mal-être et que vous désirez en parler avec quelqu’un parlant anglais!

Pour plus d’informations, veuillez consulter:

  • Toutes les mesures prises par le Gouvernement belge liées au coronavirus sur le site Le Centre de crise National (NCCN). Une permanence ininterrompue (24h sur 24, 7 jours sur 7) pour la collecte, l'analyse et la diffusion de toutes sortes d'informations urgentes aux instances compétentes est assurée.
  • Vous pouvez aussi consulter le site général du Service Public Fédéral Santé publique sur le coronavirus qui, lui aussi, regroupe toutes les informations utiles
  • Un numéro vert est également mis à votre disposition. Ce numéro est accessible de 8h00 à 20h00 pour toutes vos questions: 0800 14 689
  • Si vous êtes résident en Région de Bruxelles-Capitale et que vous n’avez pas de médecin traitant, contactez le 1710. Cette ligne téléphonique, mise en place uniquement pour les Bruxellois, donne accès à un dispatching de médecins généralistes pouvant vous conseiller quant à votre état de santé et vous orienter convenablement. Celle-ci s’adresse en priorité aux personnes présentant des symptômes de toux, rhume ou de fièvre, suspectant une atteinte au coronavirus. Une permanence ininterrompue est assurée (24h sur 24, 7 jours sur 7).

L’Expat Welcome Desk reste à votre disposition durant cette période ! N’hésitez pas à nous contacter par téléphone ou par e-mail (